First Impression - The Body Shop All-in-one BB Cream (Shade 02)

 
The Body Shop All-in-one BB Cream - Colour-adapting Tinted Cream
Where to buy: The Body Shop
Cost: £12.00 for 25ml
 

The blurb according to The Body Shop:
When you've got no time to spare, our All-in-One BB Cream is a must-have beauty product for super-speedy results. Enriched with 24hr hydration, our hardworking, multi-tasking BB cream does it all, leaving your skin gloriously glowing and (almost) picture perfect. Blend into your complexion for a colour adapting, dewy, even-finish that perfectly matches your skin tone. It's your skin, only better.
  • BB Cream
  • Adapts to skin tone
  • Hydrates for 24hrs
  • Illuminates and evens appearance of skin tone
  • Non-clogging
  • Light to medium coverage
  • 5 shades
  • Community Trade organic aloe vera

 
 
My thoughts
 
Appeal: This was completely an impulse purchase. I was attracted by their Honey Bronze range but ended up buying this instead! I think what most attracted me was the colour-adapting promise (a great fan of colour-change lipsticks even though they're not a great fan of me!). When swatched on the back of my hand in the shop the colour-adapting qualities seemed quite promising.
 
Packaging: a sleek and shiny tactile tube with minimal design.
 
Ease of application: Post-cleansing I applied The Ordinary High Adherence Silicone Primer before applying the BB cream, initially with my fingers. As shown in the photo below, the cream is white when first applied and then changes to adapt to your skin tone. I chose the shade 02 which is a medium beige tone - on the back of my hand, the adaptive tone swatched quite close to my skin tone. However, suddenly at home, and I can't really detect any tone change and it's looking really pale. Not only that, but the cream started to really pill on my skin. I switched to a foundation brush but then there seemed to be no tone change at all and still pilled quite badly. Could this have reacted with the primer?
So application-wise - I was really very disappointed with this.

The result: Despite The Body Shop claims that this cream has low to medium coverage, I would say that this has zero coverage. I know that UK BB creams are more like tinted moisturisers rather than the Korean BB creams which have pretty good coverage, but this didn't appear to have any effects whatsoever, not even a slight blurring or evening-out of my skin tone. I needed to go out and I needed more coverage so I had to apply my usual foundation over the top of this.
I would agree that this was long-lasting in that my foundation seemed to last for longer in the day, BUT, I did feel very oily after just a couple of hours wear (although, to be fair, that could be because I had foundation over the top).
I tried this again the following day, this time without the primer. Unfortunately, it still pilled quite badly. I also just used my fingers as this seemed to make the colour-adaption work better - but it was still very pale. I did get quite oily in the day, but not as much as when I had my usual foundation over the top. But there was still no coverage and I felt quite exposed - luckily I was working from home and didn't have to see anyone or I would have felt too bare just wearing this cream.

First Impression: Disappointment

Pros: It did give me a nice glow (before the oiliness kicked in which made me shine rather than glow).

Cons: The lack of coverage.
It has no SPF, which I would expect with a BB cream.
The cost - I have other drugstore BB creams that have cost far less and given me better results.

Final thoughts: I think I'm going to put this away until the warmer months when my skin has a bit of natural colour and can take less coverage. However, I do worry that with a little bit of colour, this cream will be too light and I may need to mix it with something, which kind of defeats the object of using a BB cream (quicker and more natural make-up routine).

Ratings - the 4Ps
Packaging: 4/5
Performance: 1/5
(Staying) Power: 4/5
Price: 3/5

Overall Score: 3/5

 
Please note: 'First impression' posts are just that, my first impressions of a product. I will be posting more in-depth reviews of products that I have used over a significant period of time.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review